Jena 6 Prosecutor Drops Appeal to Court Ruling

27 09 2007

LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters has just dropped his appeal to an Louisianna State Appeals Court to have Mychal Bell tried in adult court, according to the Associated Press.

BATON ROUGE, La. — The prosecutor in the “Jena 6” cases has decided not to challenge a ruling that sent 17-year-old Mychal Bell’s case to juvenile court.

LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters had earlier said he would appeal the state appeals court’s decision to set aside Bell’s second-degree battery conviction on the grounds that Bell should not have been tried as an adult.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, with Martin Luther King III and the Rev. Al Sharpton at her side, announced Wednesday that she had spoken with Walters and asked him to reconsider pushing to keep the case in the adult system. She said Walters contacted her Wednesday to say he had decided not to appeal the ruling.

Read the rest of the story here.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: